Zhaoshuo Jiang, Ph.D., P.E., LEED AP
Associate Professor of Civil Engineering
Discipline: Structural Engineering & Earthquake Engineering
Office: HH 808A
Phone: (415) 338-7741
Fax: (415) 338-0525
Meeting Appointment: https://zsjiang.youcanbook.me
Ph.D., Structural Engineering, University of Connecticut, 2012
M.S., Structural Engineering, University of Connecticut, 2008
B.S., Civil Engineering, Guangzhou University, 2003
- Licensed Professional Engineer (PE), Connecticut/California
- Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) AP BD+C
Areas of Interest
- Structural Dynamics
- Smart Structures
- Smart Connected Health
- Optimal Structural Design
- Structural Control
- Structural Health Monitoring
- Real-time Hybrid Simulation
- Innovative Engineering Education
Awards & Distinctions
- Center for Equity and Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CEETL) High Impact Teaching Award, SFSU (2019)
- Faculty Innovation and Leadership Award, California State University (2018-2019)
- Presidential Award for Professional Development of Probationary Faculty, SFSU (2018-2019)
- ASCE ExCEEd Fellow, 2017
- CSU’s new Faculty Innovation and Leadership Award, 2017
Current Projects (selected)
- “SCH: INT: Inferring At Home Gait Parameters of Older Adults Using Floor Vibrations”, National Institute of Health/National Institute on Aging (Project #: R01AG067395), $1,196,240. Role: PI.
- “Collaborative Research: Aerodynamic Shape Optimization of Tall Buildings Using Automated Cyber-Physical Testing”, National Science Foundation (Award #: 2028647), $285,491, Role: PI.
- “REU SITE: Collaborative Research: Integrated Academia-Industry Research Experience for Undergraduate in Smart Structure Technology,” National Science Foundation (Award #: 1659877), $144,434, Role: PI.
Dr. Jiang graduated from the University of Connecticut with a Ph.D. degree in Civil Engineering. He worked as a structural engineer in multiple firms (e.g., Skidmore, Owings & Merrill), before joining San Francisco State University as a faculty member. As a licensed professional engineer in the states of Connecticut and California, Dr. Jiang has been involved in the design of a variety of low-rise and high-rise projects, including office towers, retails, hotels, courthouses, and theatre according to the U.S. and international building codes. He is a member of American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC), Structural Engineers Association of Northern California (SEAONC), Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI), and American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE).