- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Nevada, Reno, 2018
- M.S., Civil Engineering, San Jose State University, San Jose, 2010
- B.Tech., Civil Engineering, Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, India, 2007
Dr. Yarra joined San Francisco State University (SFSU) in 2018 and teaches undergrad and graduate courses in civil engineering. He has experience working in academia and industry in different capacities. He worked for San Jose State University as an assistant specialist in research and for University of California at Berkeley as an assistant specialist in research and as a research engineer-1. He also, has practical experience in doing consulting to the United States Department of Defense as an engineer. Dr. Yarra is very passionate about growing interest for students in STEM disciplines, in particularly the fundamentals of structural engineering and its related multi-discipline research topics. He is very passionate about working with diverse students from a variety of backgrounds and helping them to reach their educational goals.
- Adaptive materials to improve sustainability and resilience, structural health monitoring of bridges and other civil engineering constructed facilities.
- Next generation transportation solutions through intelligent infrastructure components and systems.
- Advanced materials in earthquake engineering
- Computational and analytical models to predict mechanical behavior of adaptive and advanced materials.
- Large scale structural component and system testing
- Forensic engineering education and dissemination
Funded Research Projects
- Research Grant ($2148.0), Graduate Student Association (GSA),"Characterization of an Isotropic Adaptive Material for vibration control of structural and nonstructural system", University of Nevada-Reno, 08/14/2017 – 06/30/2018.
- Research Grant ($1450.0), Graduate Student Association (GSA), "Characterization of an adaptive material for vibration control of structural and nonstructural system", University of Nevada-Reno, 11/21/2016 - 06/30/2017.
Selected Recent Publications
- Yarra S, Gordaninejad F, Behrooz M, Pekcan G, Itani AM, Publicover N. Performance of a large-scale magnetorheological elastomer–based vibration isolator for highway bridges. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures. 2018 Sep 12:1045389X18799493.
- Yarra S, Behrooz M, Pekcan G, Itani A, Gordaninejad F. A large-scale adaptive magnetorheological elastomer-based bridge bearing. In Active and Passive Smart Structures and Integrated Systems 2017 Apr 11 (Vol. 10164, p. 1016425). International Society for Optics and Photonics.
- Yarra S, Pekcan G, Behrooz M, (2017) Characterization of Carbon Black-Filled Natural Rubber and Silicone Magnetorheological Elastomers under pure shear loading. In VIII ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on Smart Structures and Materials 2017 June 6, pg. 860-870.
- Yarra S, Gordaninejad F, Behrooz M, Pekcan G. Performance of natural rubber and silicone-based magnetorheological elastomers under large-strain combined axial and shear loading. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures. 2018 Nov 6:1045389X18808393