Biological Scientific Laboratory Aide
OPEN PERIOD: Current
SALARY RANGE: $12.54 - $17.27, depending on qualifications
POSITION INFORMATION: Full-time/Part-time/Intermittent excepted service temporary position not-to-exceed 180 working days within a 1-year period
DUTY LOCATION: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Western Regional Research Center, Produce Safety and Microbiology Research Unit, 800 Buchanan Street, Albany, CA 94710.
WHOM MAY APPLY: Applications will be accepted from U.S. citizens and foreign nationals who meet appropriations and immigration laws and Agency requirements.
· Applicants must be at least 16 years of age
· Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered with Selective Service
· Successful adjudication of fingerprint check
· Perform basic microbiology procedures and operate equipment in a laboratory involved in the investigation and detection of routinely-encountered foodborne pathogens. On-site high-throughput (Pac-Bio) and benchtop (Illumina MiSeq) sequencers, transmission and scanning electron, and confocal microscopes, dynamic light scattering (DLS)-based nanomaterials analyzer, real-time and conventional PCR machines, electrochemical device, etc., are routinely used for characterization and material testing.
· Application of fundamental principles used in microbiology, bioengineering, chemistry, data processing and statistical analysis. Understand various instrumentation and experimental setups involved in the analysis of samples so that the prescribed protocol can be modified or optimized.
· Ability to analyze data and write research manuscript is preferred but not required. Further training can be provided.
· Knowledge and experience on aseptic techniques is preferred but not required. Training on these procedures will be provided.
Your education and/or experience will be evaluated against all qualification requirements.
Reasonable Accommodation: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or have questions regarding reasonable accommodation and/or accessibility, please contact the Disability Program Manager on 202.720.6161.
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit the following forms:
· A resume (to include your country of citizenship), curriculum vitae, or other document outlining your qualifications
o The resume must include the number of hours worked per week for each position
· Copy of unofficial college transcripts
· Paid and non-paid work experience related to the position
o The work experience must include the number of hours worked per week for each position
· Job related training courses, skills, certificates/licenses (current)
SUBMIT COMPLETE PACKAGE TO:
Dr. Vivian Wu
Produce Safety and Microbiology Research Unit
800 Buchanan Street
Albany, CA 94710
Or Email: Irwin.Quintela@usda.gov