Graduate Programs: Additional FAQs for Domestic Prospective Students

The admission process is competitive and we try to process the applications as soon as the application is complete, while taking into consideration the quality of applicants and needs of the program. Generally it could take anywhere between a few weeks to a few months.

Yes, transcripts are required from all the universities and colleges attended, including schools attended abroad. However, transcripts are not required for coursework completed at SFSU.

No.If the student does not enroll in the semester

In order to take classes at the graduate level for personal growth or to complete prerequisites without being admitted to a graduate program, students can enroll through the Open University program.This program is administered through the College of Extended Learning . Enrolling through Open University is on a space available basis, and does not qualify a student for financial aid.

You may call to check your status at (415) 338-2234 or check on-line . You will need to provide your SFSU student ID number and a SF State Password. Your SFSU ID number will have been provided to you by email after you submitted an online application. The website gives first time users specific instructions for setting up a SF State Password.

Yes, green card holders can use the domestic application form. Students who have a green card should submit a copy of their Alien Registration Card (or endorsed Form I-94) with their application.

The student needs to resubmit all the documents if reapplication is beyond one semester.

You should establish residency to take advantage of the lower registration fees that are charged to residents of California. In many cases you will reduce your education costs substantially. 
Applicants younger than 19 years of age by the residence determination date (see below) must report parental information, as well as their own information, to verify California residence. 
Applicants 19 years of age or older are eligible for resident status only if they have established and maintained permanent residence in California at least one year prior to the following Residency Determination deadlines: 
Spring Semester - January 25
Summer Semester - June 1
Fall Semester - September 20

To be eligible for resident status you must maintain a physical presence in California, show intent to make California your permanent home and/or maintain proper immigration status for one year prior to the Residency Determination deadline. 
The following will be considered when your resident status is reviewed:

  • California driver's license for the prior year.
  • California voter registration.
  • California automobile registration.
  • California State income tax obligations on total income.
  • Ownership of residential property or continuous occupancy or renting of an apartment on a lease basis where your personal belongings are kept.
  • Active savings and/or checking accounts in a California bank for the prior year.
  • Immigration status with legal capacity to establish California residency.
  • Maintaining a permanent military address and home of record in California.
  • Military leave and earning statements showing California as legal residence for the prior year.
  • Financial independence from parents for the current year and for the three years prior to the current year.

You can submit the Residence Reclassification Request form and any appropriate supporting documents to the Division of Graduate Studies.

Reclassification requests must be submitted at least 60 days prior to the first day of instruction. Requests submitted at a later date may be considered at the discretion of the Residency Coordinator. 
Please note: Non-resident students will be responsible for non-resident tuition until the Division of Graduate Studies approves reclassification. Please see the Bulletin to learn more about the determination of resident status.